Access the Various Government Directories
In its bid for a more transparent legislative system the government of the Untied States of America allows individuals to get in touch with the various states, counties, city legislatures as well as employees of the various state government agencies and the governors of states through its numerous government directories. This facility enables the general public in the United States to contact their county, state or city representatives for the purpose of gathering information about the various polices, services provided to the citizens and discussing or questioning the different practices and policies adopted by them.
The government directories include state as well as the territorial government agencies in the country. The various government directories comprise of the telephone numbers, addresses, email addresses and other contact details of the government agencies, departments, legislatures, governor’s office and other statewide offices.
Accessing the Government Directories
When you visit http://www.usa.gov/Agencies/State_and_Territories.shtml you will find that it offers a one-stop access to the websites of all the 50 states, along with the District of Columbia as well as links to the territorial government websites of the United States.
When you click the link to a particular state you will be able to locate the contact details of all the local government agencies in that state- from the governor to the state legislatures, state judiciaries and other government agencies in the smallest townships or counties. For instance, when you click the link to Alabama State (http://www.alabama.gov/portal/index.jsp) under the category of ‘economic resources’ you will be able access the various state telephone directories such as the state agency directory, the state employee directory, and the state telephone directory. You can even locate and contact your House representative or senator and all the local government agencies at the county level.
The following are the contact details of the government officials for the state of Alabama:
• You can contact the Governor’s Office in Alabama - Telephone: (334) 242 7100, Fax: (334) 353 0004. To send an email to the governor you require filling out an online form providing details such as your first name last name, contact address, day telephone number, suggestions, and the area of interest. In addition you can also acquire the contact details of the governor of another state from: http://www.usa.gov/Contact/Governors.shtml .
• To contact the various state government agencies in Alabama you can visit: http://www.alabama.gov/sliverheader/Welcome.do?url=http://info.alabama.gov/directory.aspx?range=2 and select the particular organization or the agency that you require.
• You can search for or contact your local representative in Alabama by visiting: http://www.alabama.gov/sliverheader/Welcome.do?url=http://www.legislature.state.al.us/house/house_zipsearch.html . This website allows you to locate your representative by the zip code. If you happen to reside in a district that has more than one representative you will require using a nine digit zip code. In case you do not have an idea about the 9 digit zip code you can acquire it by keying in your address. This will assist you to identify your representative. Alternately the county board of registrars can also help to locate your representative for you.
• To acquire the contact details of the various Alabama local government at the county level, you can visit :http://www.alabama.gov/portal/secondaryContent.jsp?page=Standard_Counties
• To acquire a list of the most frequently contacted numbers of the local government departments and agencies you can visit: http://www.alabama.gov/sliverheader/Welcome.do?url=http://info.alabama.gov/phone_directory.aspx